Don't forget to watch the rest of the videos in the following playlist for six more vegan soups recipes, plus simple instructions on how to make delicious breadsticks to dip in your soup!
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped + shredded carrots for garnish
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups dried split peas, rinsed
- 1/2 large sweet potato, chopped
- bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1-2 green onions, sliced
- frozen peas (optional)
- Heat large pot over medium-high heat. Once heated add carrots, celery, onion, bell pepper (if using), and enough broth to keep veggies from drying out. Sauté for 5-10 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic, sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant. Season with spices.
- Pour in broth, dry split peas, sweet potato and bay leaf. Turn heat down to simmer for about an 1 hour (or until ingredients are soft).
- Cool slightly, then purée half of soup in a blender. Return purée to the pan and mix with rest of soup.
- Garnish with shredded carrots, green onions, frozen peas (if using), and salt and pepper to taste.