Companion animals (aka pets) bring great joy to our lives, and they too can benefit from an eco-vegan makeup to reduce their carbon footprints. For instance, dogs can safely and effectively eat a vegan diet (yep, there's research to back this up). The following posts offer up advice, resources and product recommendations from Whitney and companion animal experts like vets and specialists.
Looking for more info & tips? Find them on my Pinterest board
Homeopathic Remedies for Dogs + Other Companions
Taking care of Evie, my companion dog, is a huge priority in my life. She's about 7 years old now and I do everything I can to make sure that she's as happy and healthy as possible every day. Overall, her health is fantastic. She's thriving on the plant-based diet and has had very few health issues in her life. However, she's getting up there in age and every once in a while a few challenges pop up. Evie has some skin sensitivities and digestive distress off an on, and I worry about the long-term effects of giving her flea medications. That's why I was thrilled to try out a homeopathic detox from HomeoAnimal.
Vegan Dog Interview in Natural Dog Magazine
In May 2010 I was interviewed for Natural Dog Magazine about raising a vegan dog. I finally received a copy of it to share with you! Here is an expert - read the article for more, including advice from my amazing friend and vet Dr. Armaiti May:
Vegan dog food & treats
- Ami (contains corn)
- Avoderm (contains soy, vitamin A and D may originate from an animal source)
- BiOpet (entirely vegan, organic, contains wheat, Australian)
- Dr. Harveys Veg-To-Bowl (pre-mix)
- Evolution (entirely vegan)
- Humane Choice (not entirely vegan because of micronutrients)
- Lively Doggie Food (contains corn, wheat, & soy)
- Monzies (organic, raw) & Sojos Dog Food Mix
- Natural Balance
- Natural Life (contains corn, wheat, & soy)
- Nature's Recipe (contains soy, may have animal derived vitamin sources)
- Pet Guard
- Purina HA (*not sure if it's vegan, but it seems like it)
- Tykies (entirely vegan & raw)
- V-Dog (entirely vegan, contains corn, wheat, & soy)
- Vegan Pet (Australia)
- Wysong (may not be vegan, because claimed to have animal derived vitamin D3)
- Yarrah (Organic, contains corn, wheat, & soy)
Dogs in the News: Top Articles on Keeping Them Healthy & Happy
Top Ten Cities in the U.S. to Take Your Dog on Vacation
Pets and your health: the good and the bad - "House pets can affect your psychological and physical health in many ways."
Another Overdue Update on Evie
I am so sorry that I haven't been posting on a regular basis. My life has become busier than anticipated, but this blog is always on my mind. For those of you who are still with me, thank you for your support and continued interest.
Eco-Friendly Dog Games by Nina Ottosson
Dogs love to play games inside and out, but this is usually limited to fetching balls or frisbees, squeaking toys, and tugging ropes. Like humans, dogs like to be mentally stimulated, but they rarely get the chance with typical games and toys.
Featured in High Desert Dog Magazine!
Video Natural Flea Control and Treatment For Dogs
Video: Green Bags for Dog Poop - Biodegradable, Compostable, & Flushable Options
Video: Vegan Dog Vet Check-Ups & Spay with Dr. Armaiti May, DVM
"Dogs THRIVE on a Vegan Diet"
Found this video on YouTube today and had to share!