Hint - buy as much in bulk as you can. You can easily find the oats, walnuts, and raisins; and perhaps the cinnamon too if your grocery store has spices in bulk.
- 1 cup organic steel cut oats
- 2 1/2 cups water
- handful of organic walnuts
- handful of organic raisins
- organic pure maple syrup (as much as you need)
- organic cinnamon (to taste)
- In a large saucepot, add the oats. Stir for 2 minutes to toast.
- Add the water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Keep at a low simmer for 20 minutes, without stirring.
- Add in the walnuts and raisins, and cook for another 5 minutes
- Spoon into a serving bowl and top with maple syrup and cinnamon.
- This meal has about 18 grams of protein in it, mainly from the oats.
- Steel-cut oats are high in B-Vitamins, calcium, protein and fiber while low in salt and unsaturated fat.
- Raisins include relief from constipation, acidosis, anemia, fever, and sexual weakness. They also help in weight gain, eye care, dental care, and bone health.
- Walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3 essential fatty acids, which benefits include cardiovascular protection, to the promotion of better cognitive function, to anti-inflammatory benefits helpful in asthma, rheumatoid arthritis
- Maple syrup is an excellent source of manganese and a good source of zinc, which can assist in heart health and in balancing cholesterol levels
- Cinnamon has extremely high anti-oxidant activity, and the oil of cinnamon has strong anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It is also a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium.