Discover EvG & Whitney
Curious what Eco-Vegan Gal is exactly? Want to learn more about the founder, Whitney Lauritsen? You'll discover all the juicy details right here.
- Learn about the EvG Mission, Ethics and Review standards
- Read Whitney's Biography
- Check out Interviews with Whitney and Articles she's written for other publications
- Browse through her product recommendations and make purchases in the Store
- Buy an Eco-Vegan Gal or Guy shirt'
- Find out how to Support EvG
- Get the scoop on Advertising and Sponsoring EvG
- Check out personal, journal style posts and site related topics
Welcome to Eco-Vegan Gal!
What's It All About?
Eco-Vegan Gal is an online empowerment resource for people who, like you, are curious about how to be better to their bodies and the planet. Here you will find inspiration, support and guidance for your journey to becoming as healthy and happy as possible.
Through YouTube videos, written posts, contributing articles and public speaking engagements, Eco-Vegan Gal features recipes, in-depth stories and quick tips on how to discover and easily prepare delicious and nutritious plant-based food, while making eco-friendly lifestyle decisions everyday. Recommendations on the best green and healthy vegan products, restaurants, and experiences through video reviews will provide credible information to help you make informed purchases.
Eating an organic, whole foods plant-based diet can result in vitality, longevity, internal peace and overall wellbeing. Likewise, adopting an eco-friendly lifestyle can culminate in an appreciation for the planet, connection to other people and nature and a sense of contribution that will effect many generations to come. And most importantly, you can have fun while making a difference.
In February I was approached about applying for a program Ford Motor Company was launching called the Fiesta Movement. They were offering a fuel-efficicent car with all expenses paid (gas, insurance, various travel costs) in exchange for authentic video content and social media posts about the experience. After considering the opportunity and what it would mean for Eco-Vegan Gal, I realized it could help me generate more fun, fresh and inspirational content, so I sent in an audition video. While waiting for the outcome I became more and more excited about it, imagining all the adventures I could capture and share with you, which was quite nerve racking as I found out over 5,000 people had applied! Fortunately, I found out in May that I was accepted amongst a group of incredible YouTubers, and I was exstatic!
A few months ago VegNews magazine approached me about writing an article about spring greening cleaning the home with tips on how to avoid and kick out nasty toxins. I was thrilled to contribute to their environemtal issue (entitled "Are We Screwed?") and learned a ton from researching the piece (I can reassure you, we are not screwed). This 'zine hit mailboxes a few days ago and should be in newstands now or quite soon so be sure to grab a copy! Here are a few of the simple ways to detox your home for better health (read the full lowdown in the article!):
- Common household chemicals can cause skin irritation, respiratory problems, infertility, allergies, birth defects, cancer and psychological disorders. Shop for products labeled natural, non-toxic, chemical-free, green certified and/or organic.
- You breathe in 10 to 20 thousand liters of air every day, inhaling all sorts of minuscule things - fortunately there are many indoor plants that can remove chemical vapors and toxic fumes from the air (find out which to buy in the article!)
- Most tap water contains chlorine and/or fluoride, which can have harmful effects on brain cells, bones, organs and skin. Invest in a high quality filtration system (tips for finding the right one are in the article)
- Many personal care products (yes, even the vegan brands) are loaded with harmful components. Purchase organic and truly natural products with short ingredient lists.
- You spend roughly one third of your life in bed yet people rarely think about how it affects their health.
- Plus, advice on non-toxic kitchen ware, bathroom stuff, bedroom essentials and personal care necessities.
Would love to hear your thoughts once you've read the article - what did you learn and how have you implemented it in your life? Have any further questions about toxic-free living?
Few things are as exciting as getting a preview of something before it comes out, am I wrong? Assuming I'm not, you'll be excited today because I'm giving you a sneak peak at Vegan Cuts' April Snack Box! Why? Because I co-curated it!! Since you're part of the EvG community you are the first to find out what's inside...well, I can't tell you everything or else I'd ruin the full surprise! But here's what I can tell you:
I'm honored to have been selected to be part of the We.Blog editorial team at Natural Products Expo West 2014! Along with 11 other content creators in the natural lifestyle industry, I'll be reporting on my all-time favorite event. Expo West is the world’s largest trade show and convention focused on the health and natural products industry, with more than 60,000 attendees and over 2,500 exhibitors across natural and specialty foods, organic, supplements, health and beauty, natural living and pet items.
Since this event is impossible to cover alone (I've tried and failed, 4 years in a row!), the organizers decided to launch the We.Blog Editorial Board as a pilot program. Here's what we'll be doing: