Attending events is one of the best ways to learn about health and sustainability. Many feature lectures from experts in these fields and companies displaying their offerings at tables, while others are all about mingling. Learn about upcoming events around the world. and get an inside look at what Whitney experiences when she attends them.
The Natural Products Expo is my favorite business event of all time. Each Spring and Fall I attend this massive trade show to find the latest and greatest products and mingle with industry insiders. Since this event isn't open to the public, I make it my mission to report on the best products, brands, news and people. This year I wrote an ebook packed with tips on how to make the most of the experience, and I re-joined the We.Blog editorial team for the third show in a row.
Three years ago a fellow green blogger and friend of mine mentioned she was attending a festival called Lightning in a Bottle (LIB). I had never heard of it, but her coverage on the event really sparked my interest; she had me when she described it as "Coachella for the greener" and "Burning Man with an eco-twist". Last year I was invited to attend to do press coverage and I was deeply disapointed I couldn't make it, so this July I'm determined to go and share my experiences with you! If you're looking for an inspiring escape from the day-to-day, here's why you should join me at the 9th annual positive and uplifting experience instead of waiting for my video documentation.
Friday, March 9, 2012 was officially Day 1 of Natural Products Expo West, though a lot happened on Thursday as well. Take a look at what I discovered in my second video from the show, featuring:
- Green Girl Next Door (blogger)
- Coco Polo (stevia sweetened chocolate)
- One Degree Foods (breads with full ingredient disclosure)
- Food for Lovers (vegan queso and mayo)
- Green Foods (green powders and vegan protein powders)
- So Delicious (practically everything dairy-free)
- Nature's Path (organic passion and delicious cereals and snacks)
- Ashley Koff (incredible nutritionist)
- Qrunch burgers (quinoa veggie burgers)
- Vegucated (vegan documentary)
- Healthy Voyager (blogger and author)
- Vegan Cuts (vegan daily deal site)
- Happy Cow (vegan restaurant site)
- Living Eco (eco-vegan shopping and interviews)
- Fair Trade USA
- AlterEco (quinoa chocolate)
It has begun! Join me on my first day of Natural Products Expo West in this video, featuring the latest products from:
- - PROBAR
- - Pure Bar
- - Artisana
- - Purely Elizabeth
- - Beanfields
- - The Brooklyn Salsa Company
- - Califia Almond Milk
- - Bambooe
- - Navitas Naturals
- - Earth Balance
- - VEGA
- - Inner-Eco
- - OMG!
- - Poppy's Cleaners
- - NibMor
- - Pacari and Dr. Nita's
- - Cloud-Top
- - Bold Organics
- - Yoga Earth's Keen-Wah
- - Farmhouse Culture
- - EatPastry
Reporting from San Francisco, it's another summary of the best things I'm hearing about Vida Vegan Con from Twitter and blogs! Before you read this, make sure to check out yesterday's Ultimate Guide and other posts from VVC - very exciting stuff! I'll be updating this throughout the day, so check back often for updates.
Unfortunately, I couldn't make it out to Vida Vegan Con (click here to find out why) so I'm living vicariously through all the tweets and blogs posts, which are actually making me feel like I'm there (check out these 9 ways to enjoy it without being there). Twitter is such a fantastic way to connect with people and have conversations, and all the vegan bloggers and tweeters there are doing a great job at posting every detail!First of all, you must check out these live interviews NOW (but don't worry, they're all being recorded):
Interviews from the Live Stream - My Favorites:
- Dynise Balcavage: Urban Vegan - "You don't expect an apple to taste like a mushroom, so you can't expect tofu to taste like a steak"
- Colleen Patrick-Gouudreau
- Jill from Vegan Cuts
- Jason Das from SuperVegan and Vegan Drinks
- Gena Hamshaw from Choosing Raw (interview one and interview two)
- The Pain in The Ass Vegan
- Vegan Traveling - Jason Das from SuperVegan uses Happy Cow said, "even a (bad) Chinese restaurant can make you steamed vegetables and rice." Laura Beck from VeganSaurus says she "googles vegan blogs and the city I am in."
- Vegan Blogging - see How to Blog post for all the great advice
- Advice from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau - too much to list here, so made a separate post!
- Vegan Nutrition: "make a big batch of grains (bulgar and quinoa!) and eat off it all week."
- Vegan Food: "Good vegan desserts aren't about what's NOT in them, it's about what IS in and how you use it. Use good quality ingredients." (via @Tofu_Mom)
- @sweeton New #vidavegancon hashtag suggestion: #wwcpgd What would Colleen @PatrickGoudreau do?
- @bookie85: A fig is a flower. Who knew?
- @SuperVegan: Can bloggers at #vidavegancon help spread word that pet-related #Hurricane #Irene news can be found via #IrenePets hashtag?
- @carrieonvegan: I love being #vegan! (It just had to be said). #vidavegancon
- @lonestarplate: definition of #vidavegancon: when vegans explore the limits of how much food can be eaten in three days
- @AdrianeLittle of aspiretrue.com
- @AlmostVeganChef of almostveganchef.com
- @biancaphillips of vegancrunk.blogspot.com
- @epicurvegan of epicurvegan.com
- @greenvegnliving of greenveganliving.blogspot.com
- @hpitlick of vegtastic.net
- @jaredlaughs of jaredisavegan.blogspot.com
- @kitteekake of kitteekake.blogspot.com
- @lindyjb of lindybrown.com/blog/
- @MadcapCupcake of madcapcupcake.wordpress.com
- @mygreenlake of MyGreenLake.com
- @noveleats of noveleats.com
- @OpinionessWorld of opinionessoftheworld.com
- @PDXyogini of pdxyogini.com
- @pickyvegan of pickyvegan.com
- @RbrtsonsMumba of therobertsonsofmumbai.com
- @steph_redcross of stephanieredcross.com
- @SusanV of fatfreevegan.com
- @thevegancaterer of thevegancaterer.com
- @tothewestside of tothewestside.blogspot.com
- @veganmilwaukee of veganmilwaukee.com
- Check out who I followed yesterday!
- Back to Eden Bakery in Portland
- Crazy Mae's Bakeshop in Denver and on Etsy
- Lulu's - vegan shoe collection
- Native Bowl food cart in Portland
- Sizzle Pie in Portland
- Everyone is raving about the catered food from Josh Raymond aka The Vegan Caterer
- INTERVIEW: Talking Health, Oprah and Veganism with Author Kathy Freston by Elisa Camahort
- Vida Vegan Con: Live-Blogging Welcome Address from The Opinioness of the World
- VVC day 1: meet and greet, Vegucated, Voodoo Doughnuts from Amber of Almost Vegan Chef
- VVC Live Blogging: Nutrition Panel from The Nail That Sticks Up
- Food, Activism, and Hurricanes. WHAT A DAY! from RunCrissieRun
- Unsurpassed from Choosing Raw
Pictures from Twitter and Blogs: