If you're in L.A. tomorrow (Saturday, July 10th) and looking for ways to reduce your carbon footprint, Venice Eco Fest is the place to be. And the best part is, it's free! Actually, the best part is that it's powered by sun and biodiesel, but the free admission is a close second. This is the third time they've had this event, so I'm sure it's even better than when I went their very first year.
There will be lots of cool activities and eco features, such as:
- Live musical acts and speakers on a solar-powered stage - be sure to check out the Vegan Vixens
- 150 Vendors
- Local artists
- Fitness instruction and demos
- A parade
- Kid-friendly family section
- Organic, vegan food court (I am soooo there!) with filtered water stations (bring your reusable water bottles!)
- Recycling small e-waste - bring your old cell phones and batteries
- Your Daily Thread
- Living Eco (used to be Living Echo)
- Veggie Van Organization/FUEL
- Susan Nichole Handbags (vegan!)
- Organic Oasis (looooove this solar-powered smoothie and healthy snack truck!)
- LA Yoga Magazine
- Green T with Tamara Henry
- 5 Gyres
- Heal the Bay
- Sea Shepherd
- Surfrider Foundation
Here are some cool companies I'm looking forward to checking out for the first time:
- BottleHood - "Eco-friendly, upcycled glassware made from recycled bottles from restaurants, bars and events ... tumblers, juice glasses, vases, pendant beads, cheese trays/spoon rests, bowls and more created from wine, beer, soda, liquor and water bottles"
- White House Place Learning Garden ~ they are having a fundraiser to start an outdoor organic classroom and community gathering space. They'll have organic coffee, tea, and raw food by Mooi!
- Dreissig Lady ~ cute and comfortable athletic gear made from bamboo
- Enamore ~ "charming, playful, sexy lingerie and accessories" made from the "finest ecologically sound fabrics"
According to IMDB, some celebrities may be in attendance too, including Ed Begley Jr., actress Anjelica Huston, actor Nick Nolte, and others.
I hope I gave you enough reasons to come join me and my friends at the Venice Eco Fest! If you do, please consider biking, walking, or taking the bus. The Metro, Big Blue Bus (#1 or #2), and Culver City Bus (#1) will bring you right there! If you're coming from far away, pick up some friends and carpool - it's more fun that way and they can learn more about being green!