Question from a Reader:
My wife has been vegan for many years and I just joined her a while back (talk about a good way to improve a marriage!).I am getting resistance from friends (and our kids, college age) and wanted something to point to for them to see the benefits of being vegan. I remember watching a video you had which was basically showing your transformation from pre vegan to vegan with oil and sugar, finally to where you are now, and I have to say the changes were so impressive! Can you point me to a video where you showed that?
Answer, Plus List of Resources:
First of all, how wonderful that you went vegan, and that it improved your marriage! Eating healthy and being more compassionate is a great way to strengthen a bond between people. As for your question, I have 2 responses:
1. Here's my video on my journey from non-vegan, to unhealthy vegan, to healthy vegan: Learning How To Lose Weight & Love The Body In A Healthy Way. So glad it inspired you and I hope it does the same for other people in your life.
2. You inspired me to gather resources to help people in your situation, who are vegan but don't have support from friends and family. I reached out to my social media community and asked what they use in these cases and I received this fantastic list. Browse through, give each one a read/watch when you have a chance, and keep them in your back pocket when in need of some assistance explaining why you're vegan.
Websites and Blogs:
- The Abolitionist Approach - animal rights info
- ADAPPT - this page answers nearly every question about veganism...
- Compassionatecook.com - Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's recipes and resources
- The Fruit Pursuit/Some Like It Raw - holistic health articles and raw recipes
- Happy Herbivore - recipes and blog (check out my review of her book)
- Heart Attack Proof - website of Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr.
- The Kind Life - Alicia Silverstone's blog with tips and recipes
- No Meat Athlete
- Oh She Glows - inspirational blog with recipes
- PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine)
- T. Colin Campbell Foundation - scientific integrity for optimal health
- Vegan Coach
- Vegan Consultant - inspirational and informative blog
- Vegweb.com - recipes, articles, forum
Movies and Online Videos:
- Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
- Gary Yourofsky's lectures
- Earthlings (check out my interview with the director)
- Forks Over Knives
- TEDxCambridge: Caldwell Esselstyn on making heart attacks history
- The Last Heart Attack -- CNN Dr. Sanjay Gupta full Documentary
- Meet your Meat (narrated by Alec Baldwin)
- Vegucated (check out my video from the after party)
- The China Study by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell II
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Living
- The Cure: Heal Your Body, Save Your Life by Dr. Timothy Brantley
- Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer
- The Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn
- Living Vegan for Dummies
- Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat by Howard F. Lyman
I love this unique tip from MyVeganJournal.Com:
My camera!! Use your cameras, people! Best resource ever! People LOVE to see yummy vegan food! I try to get to their hearts through their stomachs ;)
Of course this list could go on and on, but those are the top responses I received from people who are working hard to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle, no matter what opposition or challenges they face. I hope this helps!