My cousin is giving vegansim a try (!!!!) and she asked me what my favorite vegan snacks are. This is a great question, because I love to snack. However, it's also a tough one for me because I don't eat gluten, soy, or refined-sugar, and I'm trying not to eat a lot of corn or oil. So I often find myself with nothing I feel like munching on in my kitchen, and you may have the same problem even without the same diet. The best advice I can give is to plan ahead and make a list before going to the grocery store, then stock up on that. This is especially important when transitioning to the vegan diet - the last thing you want is to feel unsatisfied with the food you have on hand and end up eating something non-vegan.
Of course fruits and vegetables are great, but here's are some more delicious and healthy vegan snacks I love. The items that are starred (*) are free of gluten, soy, and refined-sugar, and those that are double starred (**) are also free of corn and at least low in oil. I recommend that you buy organic (or at least non-GMO) whenever possible.
- Crackers - I love Mary's Gone Crackers
- Flax crackers - I often buy Flackers
- Food bars - I like Larabar, PROBar, GoMacro & Raw Revolution
- Guacamole** (easy to make your own!)
- Hummus** - my favorite right is Lilly's, also like to make my own
- Kale hips (expensive but sooooo worth it!)
- Legume chips - look for lentil or bean-based. I love Benitos**
- Nuts** (I always have almonds on hand)
- Popcorn (buy kernels in bulk and pop it yourself)
- Potato chips - I like Kettle Chips organic
- Rice cakes** -
- Salsa** (easy to make your own!)
- Sea vegetables (dried) like nori or dulse