Sunday, 28 August 2011 16:25
How to Plan A Vegan Meal and Budget Tips from Vida Vegan ConWritten by Whitney Lauritsen
Notes from Vida Vegan Con's Budgeting & Meal Planning panel with Lidiana Cruz and Mo Martin, via Twitter feed.
- Use grocery shopping as a friend bonding time
- Hold out for deals and know how much you will be able to eat before shopping
- Shop at more stores for better deals
- Look at your calendar and know if you need to buy a week's worth of groceries or not. Don't autopilot each week.
- Eat before going shopping. Hungry shoppers spend much more
- Buy spices whole and grind them at home - it's cheaper and tastes fresher
- Organization is the best tip for budgeting.
- Freeze vegetables like kale, which can be used for green smoothies
- Put a white board on the fridge and write what is going to go bad on it to guide the meal planning
- All a party needs is a good host so don't worry about how much you spend
- Get to know thy happy hour!
- Always be one meal ahead, prep the next one while waiting for water to boil. Soak beans or marinate tempeh.
- Prep stuff all at once that you'll use in multiple meals so it's all on hand
- You can make mashed potatoes in 7 minutes in a pressure cooker. Stock in 30 minutes. 40 minutes for beam from scratch.
Thanks to @bookie85 and @greenvegnliving for sharing this!
If you were at VVC and have more to add to this, please comment below and I'll update the post!