- Monsanto Explained: What's Happening & How You Can Stop It (made by yours truly)
- The Video Monsanto Does NOT Want You to See! Brought to you by Nutiva and Elevate
If buying organic is a priority for you, non-GMO should be as well, and it's important to know that the two don't necessary go hand in hand. GMO avoidance is a central principle of organic, however, due to the rapid increase of GMOs over the last 15 years, there is a growing contamination risk to all non-GMO crops. Organic products still have a much lower risk of contamination than conventional products, and the organic industry is working hard to keep organic non-GMO. This is a key reason to support labeling and choose quality products with the Non-GMO Project seal.
Another essential fact to know is that non-organic ingredients can still be non-GMO. Take corn for example: it is estimated that up 88% of U.S. corn is genetically engineered, but some companies are going to great lengths to source from uncontaminated crops. A perfect example is Way Better Snacks, which should be a familiar brand now that I've become an ambassador for them. I've written and made videos about their organic sprouted ingredients, their mission to help people live better lives and will be featuring their delicious chips in monthly recipes. Now I'm thrilled to share with you that they are Non-GMO Project Verified, which means they regularly test their ingredients (especially their corn) and are audited annually. If you haven't tried them yet, keep reading for a chance to do so for free!
So what can you do to celebrate Non-GMO Month? Here are three ways to make a difference for yourself, your loved ones, and the rest of the world:
- Vote Yes of Prop 37 and spread the word about it online (email, social media, YouTube, etc.)
- Buy products that are Non-GMO Project Verified, and bring up your favorite brands in conversations (sharing photos on Instagram is great for this too!)
- Enter to win one of five cases of Way Better Snacks Simply Sprouted Tortilla Chips and try out one of my recipes! (all you have to do is follow the link and enter your name and email address - good luck!)
- CA Right to Know's website has even more ways to assist Yes of 37
- Healthy Short Cuts: October is Non-GMO Month & a Giveaway
- Way Better Snacks and Non-GMO Project Verified
- Way Better Snacks are Non-GMO Project Verified