First, let’s begin with the low down on what dandruff is and why people get it. When skin cells grow and die off too fast, dandruff forms on the scalp. Contrary to common belief, it is not always caused by dryness, but often because of an overproduction of oil. If yeast starts to feed on this excess oil, it can trigger malassezia (a common fungus) and/or seborrheic dermatitis (a skin disorder that causes scaly, itchy skin and dandruff). Dandruff can also be set off by extreme weather, stress, fatigue and oily skin, and fortunately all but the former are easy to reduce in your life. Check out the tips in the following video to learn more about how to naturally take care of your scalp and hair:
As mentioned in the video, Avalon Organics makes a lovely biodegradable dandruff treatment hair care made with organic ingredients. Their line of medicated scalp shampoo and conditioner is free of parabens, phthalates, synthetic fragrances, artificial colors, harsh preservatives or harmful sulfates. Instead of all that unnecessary junk this hair care contains soothing ingredients peppermint, aloe vera, tea tree, chamomile, essential oils and 2% Salicylic Acid. If the latter isn’t familiar to you, its a compound obtained from the bark of a willow tree that treats dandruff by increasing skin turnover, correcting abnormal shedding of skin cells and decreasing inflammation. All this goodness combines to form a powerful treatment and preventive measure by relieving scalp dryness, itchiness and flakiness caused by contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis or psoriasis.
Even though my healthy lifestyle has helped me fend off dandruff, I still love to use Avalon Organics’ medicated shampoo and conditioner. It leaves my hair feeling extremely soft and full of volume, thanks to the high quality, pH balanced formula. This is a true testament to their formula because it’s rare that I find organic hair care that makes me look like I just left the salon. Unlike the unnatural dandruff products I used in the past, this organic line smells really pleasant, like refreshing, sweet mint. And lastly, it’s eco-vegan approved due to the biodegradable ingredients and bottle made from 100% recycled materials! So whether you have an itchy, flakey scalp or not, I recommend trying these products out for healthy hair. Each 14 oz bottle retails for around $10.99, and bonus, you can receive 20% off all online purchases over $10 by using this discount code at Avalon Organics' checkout: WELLNESS (expires April 30, 2014).
Here’s your action list to achieve a happier scalp and thicker, stronger, shinier hair:
- Eat as much unprocessed, whole foods as possible, especially raw fruits and vegetables. Incorporate foods with zinc (like pumpkin seeds), B vitamins (look for fortified items), and healthy types of fats/omega 3s (such as flaxseeds and walnuts).
- Give your digestive system a hand by incorporating probiotics and enzymes into your diet.
- Reduce or cut out sugar, yeast, “bad” fats and processed foods.
- Keep a jar of coconut oil in your home to cook with (it’s lovely with vegetable stir-fry), add into fresh recipes (great in smoothies) and use on your skin and hair.
- Kick stress to the curb by tapping into regular relaxation techniques and making sure to move your body every day.
- Get more sleep! Aim for a regular schedule and 5-6 sleep cycles. Each cycle is approximately 90 minutes long, which means 7.5-9 hours are needed each night.
- Brush your hair from your scalp down with steady, firm strokes. This will carry oil from your scalp, where it can cause dandruff, along the hair strands.
- Limit your use of styling products, like hair spray, and opt for natural products when you do use them.
- Wash your hair regularly to prevent buildup and massage the scalp while you’re at it!
- Use truly natural anti-dandruff hair care, like Avalon Organics.
Now I want to hear from you! Please leave a comment below and let me know about your own journey with dandruff - have you had it, and if so, how have you treated it? Will you be implementing any of the tips above? And, once you give Avalon Organics’ medicated products a try I’d love to here if you love it as much as I do!
Disclosure: I am partnering with the Avalon Organics® brand to speak about the importance of a healthy scalp and how you can help keep yourself in tip top shape! Please note the statements presented in this video are my own and do not reflect statements made by the Avalon Organics® brand or The Hain Celestial Group, Inc.