Because this technology is so exiciting it's easy to get caught up in new product development and launches - in fact, according to sellmymobile.com, tens of millions of mobile handsets are replaced on a yearly basis! And most of the old phones simply end up in a drawer, unused, which is why I really advocate for selling/recycling devices when it's time for them to be put to rest. Studies have also found that about one billion mobile phones are manufactured every year, yet only one percent of them are recycled - yikes!
It's very important to pass retired technology onto somone else who will use it or recyle it properly as the materials and batteries can leach toxic chemicals (like indium) when in landfills. It is estimated that millions of dollars worth of silver and gold within devices are tossed annually. Fortunately, trading in a phone is incredibly easy through online and in-store programs. Most companies will wipe your data for you, or offer simple instructions on how to do so. Your phone will be then be refurbished and either sold to a local customer or sent to developing countries where affordable devices are in low supply. You also have the opportunity to donate the value to a charity, and some trade-in companies will donate a percentage of each transaction automatically.
A do-gooder checklist for mobile phone ownership:
- Find a phone that you love and stick with it
- Reycle/sell your old phone(s) and consider donating all or a percentage of the money you receive to a charity
- Download apps that help you stay healthy and eco-friendly, and talk about them with your friends to encourage them to do the same
- Share photos, videos and written content that inspires others to feel good and do good
- Only purchase a new phone when it seems necessary and consider buying a refurbished model (you'll save money and the enviorment!)
Have you ever sold a phone, taken it to a recycling center, or bought a refurbished model? If so, what was your experience? And don't forget to comment about your favorite apps!
Disclore: though this article was sponsored by SellMyMobile, my opinion is my own and is not influenced by this partnership. In fact, I learned a lot of these facts from their website, which I think you'll find useful. Financial compensation makes it possible for fresh content to be posted regularly on Eco-Vegan Gal. I'm thankful for the opportunity to write about this topic and I hope you found it inspiring and educational!