Book Reviews: Food
With all the books available on health and vegan recipes, how does a Gal or Guy choose which one to buy, take out from the library, or download onto a mobile reader? Let Whitney do the vetting and she'll let you know when she finds a book that she loves.
If you'd like to browse through her recommendations and then buy your own copy, check out her Amazon store.
Curious what's she's currently reading? Follow her on Goodreads
The following video really speaks for itself, but in case you don't have time to watch it I'll just say that I'm really impressed with The Happy Herbivore by my pal Lindsay Nixon.
- It's beautiful - lots of full page photos of delicious looking food.
- It's informative - great "how to" sections and tips on vegan cooking
- There's something for everyone - whether you're looking for something fat-free, low in fat, gluten-free, soy-free, for kids, quick, or for someone unsure if vegan food tastes any good, you'll find a dish to make in this book.
As I write this post, there's a cool party happening in L.A. to celebrate the launch of the new book Meat Is For Pussies by Cro-mags vocalist John Joseph. Unfortunately I'm missing it because I'm out of town, but I've heard rave reviews.
Last night while dining at Candle Cafe in NYC, I saw a copy of the book with the word "pussy" covered up by a bunch of grawlixes. I thought that was pretty funny because I'm not offended by the title. Though I rarely use profanities, I'm usually not bothered when other people say them - it's just part of the language sometimes. In the case of this book, I'm glad the word "pussy" is used because it is attention grabbing. Much like "Skinny Bitch", people will pick up this book and want to read the description or first page. Or, if offended, they'll talk about their feelings to other people, which gives it more publicity; it really can't go wrong in my opinion.
Here's the first video from Robert Cheeke's Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Northwest book tour - a 4 minute montage of our 10 day whirlwind. I shot almost 4 hours of footage so there's a lot more to come, including many eco-vegan reviews of my own. : ). In this montage you'll catch a glimpse of:
- Food Fight! Grocery
- Seattle VegFest
- Proper Eats
- Held Vegan Belts
- Grilla Bites
- vegan bodybuilders: Giacomo Marchese and Ed Bauer
- Robert's hometown of Corvallis, OR
- all the book packing and shipping we did