Beanfields has seven flavors of tortilla chips with an unconventional twist. Instead of using a base of corn or flour, they are made from beans and rice (did the name give it away?), which means they are full of nutrition, namely protein. And yet, they have the traditional tortilla chip crunch and taste, minus the excess oil.
These chips can be much more than a stand-alone snack: try adding the nacho flavored chips to a bowl of quinoa, black beans, lettuce, sweet potato and salsa for a health take on a taco salad. I tried this and the results were completely hearty and satisfying: the addition took the dish from pretty good to savory and delightful.
I was lucky enough to try every flavor Beanfields has created, including the recently released Ranch and Barbecue. Here is the verdict:
- Ranch - These taste just like the Cool Ranch Doritos and are by far my favorite flavor of Beanfields chips.
- BBQ - These taste like the seasoning on a barbecue potato chip, but on a tortilla chip instead.
- Nacho - As mentioned above, these nacho chips are the Doritos’ better, healthier twin. Each bite is cheesy without any weird, processed ingredients.
- Pico De Gallo - These are my second favorite. They are a flavorful, spicy chip without any heat, and even remind me of the Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos. Even my mom liked them!
- Salt & Pepper - The salt & pepper flavor is prominent without being overpowering.
- Salted and Unsalted - Both are basic tortilla chips and would be perfect for dipping in salsa, guacamole or vegan nacho cheese.
In addtion to being free of gluten and corn, these chips are also free of peanuts and seeds. They are Non-GMO Project verified and have 4 grams of complete protein. They are not oil free, but only contain 5 grams of fat, which is almost 29 percent less fat than the average tortilla chip. If you missed Doritos, don’t wait a second longer to get your hands on Beanfields. You won’t regret it. The small, individual serving bags would be great in a lunch box, and warning: if you get a big bag you may devour it on the spot!