Ingredients (buy organic whenever possible):
- cacao powder: 1/2 cup
- salt: a pinch
- vanilla: 1/2 tsp dry powder or a splash of liquid extract
- coconut oil, melted: 2 tablespoons
- liquid sweetener of choice: 2 tablespoons
- hemp seeds: 1/2 cup - 1 cup
- cacao nibs: 1 tbsp
- matcha green tea powder: 1 tbsp
- optional: goji berries, maca powder, spirulina, lucuma...any superfoods you want to add in to boost the flavor and nutrition.
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl, in this order.:
- Mix cacao powder, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Add in melted coconut oil and combine well. Oil can be melted by placing it in a container within a hot bowl of water, or left out in a warm room. If you're not concerned with this recipe being entirely raw, you can melt the oil over a low flame on the stove.
- Add in sweetener of choice until you reach desired sweetness. In this recipe I used about 2-3 tablespoons of raw coconut nectar, plus a few drops of liquid stevia. You could use a dry sweetener like coconut sugar, in which case you may need to compensate with a little more coconut oil.
- Mix everything together until smooth, adding in a sprinkle of any of the optional superfoods - be sure to taste as you go so that they don't overpower the chocolate taste.
- Sprinkle in a 1/2 cup to a cup of hemp seeds, until they are well coated in the mixture.
- Mix in the cacao nibs - if you love the taste and crunchy texture, add more than a tablespoon.
- Use a spoon to scoop up the mixture into bite-size balls. You can also roll them in your hands, but warning: it gets really messy!
- Place truffle balls on a tray or plate and sprinkle with matcha powder. If you enjoy a strong green tea flavor, sprinkle liberally.
- Put truffles into the freezer to chill for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and press down on a truffle to confirm that they're hardened. If not, put them back in for a little longer.
- Once they've reached the preferred consistency, leave the truffles out on counter for a couple of minutes before enjoying.
Store remaining truffles in fridge to keep them cool and fresh.