Tuesday, 16 August 2011 02:18
Sweet Pea Guacamole Recipe - raw & free of salt, oil, and avocado! (video)
One of my favorite recipe books is called "Unprocessed" by Chef AJ. It is full of great food that is oil-free, salt-free, and refined sugar-free, and the tag line is "how to achieve vibrant health and your ideal weight" - sounds good to me! Everything is very easy to make and usually consists of ingredients that are in the kitchen already. This recipe caught my eye because it's a unique twist on one of my favorite snacks: guacamole. Guac can get expensive and it's also pretty fattened (though it consists of healthy fats). Sweet peas have a similar appearance to avocado, so if you blend them just right this turns out very similar to traditional guacamole.
- Fresh peas - 1/2 cup (you can use frozen, but fresh peas from the pod are more eco)
- Roma tomato - 1, diced
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Jalapeño pepper - 1/2, diced
- Onion - 1/4, diced
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Lime - juice from 1/2 lime
- Cumin - pinch (to taste)
- Blend or process the peas until desired texture - best when creamy
- Add to a bowl along with rest of the ingredients and mix well
- Serve with your favorite chips - I like Mary's Gone Crackers or Beanitos because they're corn free. Would also be good on salt-free organic corn chips or flax crackers.