Monday, 01 August 2011 18:51
Healthy Mocha Frappucino - Caffeine & Sugar Free! (video)
If you're wondering, "what is a frappucino", clearly you don't go to Starbucks, and I don't blame you. While their coffee and tea drinks are tasty, they're certainly not healthy - they're full of sugar and usually not organic. Plus, there are only a few vegan options (though they're working on that and have been adding more to the menu). I recently tried their soy frappucino (which by the way is a sugary, blended iced coffee drink) and while it was good, I felt super guilty knowing what was in it. But every now and then I crave that sugary coffee taste, so luckily there's a healthy option!
This frappuciNOT recipe tastes almost exactly like what's offered at Starbucks and it's really easy to make. Best of all is that it's much healthier and even has some nutrition: it's sugar-free, caffeine-free, soy-free, but there's still a lot in it!
- Organic Mocha Teeccino - 1 tbsp
- Hot Water - 1 cup
- Cashews - 1/4 cup
- Almond Butter - 1-2 tbsp
- Carob Powder - 1 tbsp
- Stevia - 1/8-1/4 tsp
- Date (soaked & pitted) - 1 or 2
- Teeccino Ice Cubes - 7-10 cubes
- A few hours to a day ahead of time, brew about 1/2 cup of Teeccino (1/2 tbsp plus 1/2 cup hot water). Pour into ice cube tray and freeze. Also, place your date(s) in some water and let soak for up to 24 hours.
- Brew a fresh batch of Teeccino with the powder and water, and let steep for about 3 minutes
- Meanwhile, measure out cashews, almond butter, carob, stevia, date(s), and Teeccino ice cubs into a blender.
- When Teeccino is finished brewing, add it to the blender and blend baby blend!
- Pour frappucino into a glass (preferably with a cute pig on it) and use a glass straw if you'd like.
- Sit back and enjoy the guilt-free, refreshing drink!
Yields 1-2 servings.
* you may want to taste the recipe as you go and adjust as desired - you may want it sweeter, chocolatier, creamier, thicker, or thinner.