Sunday, 07 August 2011 13:13
Spinach-Mushroom Soft Tacos
Here's another fantastic gluten-free recipe from my best friend Sarah, who couldn't keep her paws out of my kitchen! Though we enjoyed going out for meals, we also had fun taking home food from the farmer's market, Co-Opportunity, and Whole Foods and turning it into to some amazing dishes...or rather, Sarah made them and I ate them. ; )
After falling in love with Daiya and some Food For Life's sprouted corn tortillas, she whipped up this scrumptious fare:
Ingredients (buy organic if possible):
- package of sprouted corn tortillas
- 2 Portobella mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of big loose leaf spinach
- 1 can of aduki beans
- 1 container of italian Daiya
- oil (we used sunflower)
- dulse granules
- nutritional yeast
- Cut stems off of the spinach and place in large bowl, cover with cool water to wash dirt off.
- Dice mushrooms into bite size chunks, about 1/3" cubes, and sautee with minced garlic in sunflower oil (or vegetable broth) on medium heat.
- Pull the spinach from the bowl gently - this allows the dirt to settle to the bottom and saves water from rinsing. You can use this water to hydrate house or deck plants! Chop the spinach and place it on top of the mushrooms, cover and let steam.
- Drain and rinse the aduki beans, set aside.
- Turn the oven to 350 degrees and lay the tortillas out on a sheet, sprinkle with the vegan cheese and pop them in the oven, they will get warm and the cheese will melt as the oven heats up. Keep an eye on the tortillas as you finish the filling.
- When the spinach is nearly wilted, stir in the beans and sprinkle in some dulse. Turn the heat off.
- When the cheese on the tortillas is melted, pull them out and spoon the mixture with a slotted spoon onto the tortillas. Sprinkle with more dulse and nutritional yeast to your taste.